- PNL provided Project Coordination, Remedial Action Construction Management and Health and Safety oversight through the entire RA at the Malone Service Company Superfund Site.
- A large portion of the 3+ year Remedial Action was completed throughout 2017, including construction of a 30 acre RCRA “C” equivalent Cell, solidification of over 300K cubic yards of hydrocarbon sludge and placement within the Cell followed by construction of a RCRA “C” equivalent cap.
- Over 60,tons of riprap was delivered and placed along the banks of Swan Lake in Lower Galveston by as shoreline protection for the Cell.
- During the entire Remedial Action over 40 million gallons of contact storm water was managed and disposed of through the two on-site permitted injection wells.
- PNL held the Final Remedial Action Site Inspection with EPA and TCEQ in December 2017.
- PNL continues to manage O&M activities at the Site such as Cell maintenance/monitoring, leachate management/disposal, groundwater monitoring and stormwater monitoring.
PNL provides Project Coordination and Construction Management services on behalf of the Malone Cooperating Parties for the Malone Service Company Superfund Site in Texas City, Texas. ENTACT is the EPA-approved General Contractor/Engineer, and Geosyntec has provided engineering services for the design of the RCRA Subtitle C Equivalent Landfill. The Remedial Action includes design/construction of a 30-acre RCRA Landfill to contain approximately 200K cubic yards of impacted soils and 285K cubic yards of solidified hydrocarbon based sludge. The Remedial Action is currently ongoing and approximately 80% complete with final completion expected in June of 2017. Once the Remedial Action is completed, PNL will continue to provide Project Coordination services and will oversee O&M activities, such as groundwater monitoring, leachate management/disposal, and maintenance of the 30-acre closed landfill.
Many projects which had been in the planning stages in the mid to late 2000’s were significantly advanced, some even into and through remedial actions. In all the following projects PNL staff were deeply embedded and functioned in a remedy-influencing role, while at the same time, promoting a health and safety operating culture.
Cox Road Landfill, by Houston, Texas: PNL’s Houston office staff managed all aspects of the closure program for this former hazardous waste disposal site. The site was administratively placed into TCEQ’s Voluntary Closure Program. During 2010 PNL managed the PRP Group’s site assessment programs, which lead to the formulation of a containment and capping remedy. PNL managed all aspects of the EPC selection program, before moving into a construction management oversight role during the remedy constriction phase in 2011.
Patrick Bayou Superfund Site, by Houston, Texas: PNL manages all PRP response efforts at this impacted sediments site which connects into the Houston Ship Channel. An RI/FS is underway.
Malone Superfund Site, Texas City, Texas: PNL has managed all RI/FS activities at this 60 acre former waste disposal facility since 2007. With remedy selection occurring in 2011, the PNL team, on behalf of the PRP Group, has now selected an EPC resource, which we will now oversee and manage through the next few years of remedial actions. Remedy tasks will primarily include stabilization of 100Ks of cubic yards of oily sludges, for eventual onsite disposal in lined containment cells.
Newark Bay, New Jersey: PNL performs as Project Manager for a group of EPA generally noticed parties, who are interacting with another entity who is performing the site wide RI/FS on the 8 square mile Bay. The RI is collecting information on the extent of sediments impacts. PNL reviews and comments on plans and work products.
Southern California Groundwater Sites: PNL staff are assisting clients at 2 major groundwater assessment, remediation and litigation events. While confidential the work involves the compilation, interpretation and visualization of vast groundwater and soils lithology databases. At each site PNL is preparing a site conceptual model to explain the extent of impacts and the ongoing transport phenomena.
In addition to the above projects PNL staff continue our project management duties on behalf of PRP Groups at other major project sites such as Ascon Landfill (Huntington Beach, CA), Purity Oil Sales Superfund Site (Fresno, CA), BKK Landfill (West Covina, CA), Waste Disposal Inc Superfund Site (Santa Fe Springs, CA) and the Operating Industries Landfill Superfund Site (Monterey Park, CA).