Group Project Coordinator for select entities involved in the Newark Bay Study Area. Newark Bay is part of the New York/New Jersey Harbor Estuary, which is in the center of one of the most urbanized and industrialized parts of the nation.
The Newark Bay Study Area is ~ 6 miles long and 1 mile wide with impacted sediments influences from and to Passaic River, Hackensack River, many tributaries and New York Harbor. There is approximately 3.3 million cu. yd. of potentially impacted sediments that may need to be addressed.
In 2004, US EPA signed an Administrative Order on Consent with Occidental Chemical Corporation to perform a phased Remedial Investigation of the Newark Bay Study Area that includes portions of the Passaic and Hackensack Rivers and other water bodies. Remedial Investigation is being conducted by Tierra Solutions, Inc. on behalf of Occidental Petroleum.
Fish & Shellfish Advisories have been in effect for more than 10 years.
PNL’s responsibilities included the following:
- Data analysis
- Geospatial plotting of key chemicals of potential concern
- Assess the nature and extent of contamination
- Prepare strategic options
- Project scope and budget control and group fund management
- Obtained all Phase I/II RI data from Tierra plus data collected by others
- Conducted initial analysis of more than 800,000 data points
- Prepared geospatial plots of key COPC’s to demonstrate location and concentration by sediment depth to enhance understanding
- Created an online information management system to receive, track and search all relevant project information, documents and deliverables. System allows files to be associated with geospatially relevant portion of Newark Bay
- Coordinated regular meetings and conference calls between GNL Group and Tierra Solutions, Inc.